Week two saw breakouts, standouts, and some surprises. Here are my winners and losers:
- Oklahoma Sooners: After a shaky start, quarterback Baker Mayfield threw for 386 yards and three touchdowns as the Sooners kicked it into gear and defeat the Ohio State Buckeyes 31-16. Mayfield and the Sooners avenged last year’s loss. Think it’s time to take the Sooners, seriously.
- USC Trojans: Quarterback Sam Darnold threw for 316 yards and four touchdowns. Running back Ronald Jones III rushed for 116 yards and two touchdowns as the Trojans defeated the Stanford Cardinal 42-24. The Trojans had 625 total yards, very impressive offensive showing.
- Clemson Tigers: Quarterback Kelly Bryant rushed for two touchdowns. The defense had 11 (yes, you read that) sacks as the Tigers held off the Auburn Tigers 14-6. The defending champs saying, “don’t forget about us.”
- Georgia Bulldogs: Kicker Rodrigo Blankenship’s go-ahead 30-yard field goal with just over 3:30 minutes left and a late recovered fumble helped the Bulldogs hold off the Notre Dame Fighting Irish 20-19.
- Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson: Jackson had 525 total yards and six touchdowns as he led the Cardinals passed the North Carolina Tar Heels 47-35. Jackson reminding us, “hey, remember me, I’m the reigning Heisman winner!”
- Oklahoma State Cowboys quarterback Mason Randolph: Randolph threw for 335 yards and three touchdowns as the Cowboys defeated the South Alabama Jaguars easily 44-7. You’ll be hearing Randolph’s name in the Heisman discussion, too.
- Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners: Quarterback Dalton Sturm threw for two touchdowns and rushed for 98 yards as the Roadrunners, from C-USA and in their seventh year of football, defeated the Baylor Bears 17-10. It’s the Roadrunners’ first win over a Power 5 team, beep, beep!!
- Ohio State Buckeyes: The Buckeyes just couldn’t move the chains in their loss to Oklahoma.
- Stanford Cardinal: The defense gave up 625 total yards in their loss to USC.
- Auburn Tigers: Despite having the edge in time of possession, the offense only had 117 total yards, also quarterback Jarrett Stidham was sacked 11 times in their loss to Clemson.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish: A late turnover cost the Irish, a chance to win in their loss to Georgia.
- Baylor Bears: The Bears were only 2 for 12 on 3rd downs and had just over 21 minutes in time of possession in their loss to Texas-San Antonio. Once again, not the start first year coach Matt Rhule wanted.
Storylines going into Week Three:
Tennessee meets Florida in an early SEC showdown. Clemson’s defense will try to slow down Louisville’s Lamar Jackson. Texas goes to L.A. and face USC.